Sunday, January 25, 2009

Welfare

Welfare Ain't What It Use To Be!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Sharon Jasper has been victimized. Sharon Jasper has been

rabidly wronged. She has become a Section 8 'VICTIM' of

ever changing public housing policies.



Sharon Jasper has spent 57 or her 58 years dedicated to

one cause and one cause only, and has nothing to show for

her dedicated servitude. She has lived in Section 8

housing all but 1 of her 58 years. It was a legacy passed

down from her parents who moved into Section 8 housing in

1949 when she was six months old. She has passed the

legacy down to her children, but fears they may have to

get jobs to pay for the utilities and deposits. She

laments about her one year hiatus from the comfort of her

Section 8 nirvana, 'I tried it for a year..you know...

working and all. It's not anything I would want to go

through again, or wish on anyone in my family, but I am

damn proud of that year.'



Sharon was moved out of her St. Bernard housing project

after hurricane Katrina and into a new, yet albeit,

substandard quarterage. As can be noted from the above

photo of her new Section 8 home, it is repugnant and not

suitable for someone of Sharon Jasper's seniority status

in the system. 'Don't be fooled by them hardwood floors,'

says Sharon. 'They told me they were putting in scraped

wood floors cause it was more expensive and elegant, but

I am not a fool - that was just a way to make me take

scratched up wood because I am black. The 60 inch HD TV?

It may look nice but it is not a plasma. It's not a

plasma because I'm black. Now they want me to pay a

deposit and utilities on this dump. Do you know why?'



She has held her tongue in silence through the years of

abuse by the system, but it came to a head at the New

Orlean's city council meeting where discussions were

under way about the tearing down of the St. Bernard

projects. When a near riotous exchange between groups

opposing the tearing down of St. Bernard and groups

wanting the dilapidated buildings torn down and newer

ones built, Sharon unleashed verbal hell with her once

silenced tongue. The object of her oratory prowess was

an acquiescent poor white boy in attendance. The context

of her scathing rebuke was, 'Just because you pay for my

house, my car, my big screen and my food, I will not be

treated like a slave!' and 'Back up and Shut up! Shut up,

white boy! SHUT UP, WHITE BOY!'



Recapping from the mental log of the city council minutes

in her head, Sharon repines, 'Our families have been

displaced all over the United States. They are being

forced to commit crimes in cities they are unfamiliar

with. It is a very uncomfortable situation for them.

Bring them back, then let's talk about redevelopment.'

Sharon directs the reporter's attention across the street

to Duncan Plaza where homeless people are living in tents

and states that, 'I might do better out there with one of

these tents.' She further lamented her sentiments about her

situation, 'I might be poor, but I don't have to live poor.'

No comments:

Post a Comment